The Wild Pear Tree Mini Review

Film Block:
Director: Nuri Bilge Ceylan
Cinematography: Gökhan Tiryaki
Produced by: Zeynep Özbatur Atakan
Screenplay: Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Ebru Ceylan


There is only a select handful of movies that have the right to be three hours long, and The Wild Pear Tree is not one of them. Written and directed by Nuri Bilge Ceylan, this movie is nothing more than a pedantic screen rendition of a classroom lecture that is torturous to watch. I saw the premiere of this at Cannes this year, and within the first twenty minutes, both people on either side of me were asleep, and many were getting up and walking out of the theater. An hour and a half into the movie, I too decided to walk out.

While the landscapes and setting of the film were gorgeous, that’s about the only good thing I have to say about it. The entire film was just dialogue, with conversations between the characters that would last up to fifteen to twenty minutes. There was no discernible plotline from what I could tell, besides that the main character had just returned home from college and was walking around his hometown, jabbering at anyone who would listen. This film was objectively the most boring thing that I’d ever seen in my life, and I am very glad that I didn’t stay for the entire three hour duration of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5/15/18

5/13/18

Film Review: RBG