5/16/18

First step of today was to get a smoothie and a croissant from the food truck outside the festival to cure my hangover. Smoothies are the best cure that exists, if anyone was wondering. (Smoothie King is ideal, but I had to make do with what they had in France.)

And then -- guess who waited in line to get into Cold War for TWO HOURS and then didn't get in??? Me!!!

I was very mad because Maryanna and I were literally the third and fourth people to even show up by the theater that was showing Cold War today. We waited there for two whole hours, and then at the last minute a bunch of priority badge weenies swooped in and took every single seat in the theater. There were even some priority badge people who got turned away, that's how many there were. I was so pissed.

We got McDonald's for lunch as comfort food to make us feel better, and then I went to go get in line for a movie called Little Tickles by myself. I waited for a while, and a bunch of priority badge people showed up again, and I was scared that they were going to take all the seats again, but luckily this time I was able to get into the theater.

I really loved the movie. It was definitely hard to watch sometimes, because it was about an adult pedophile raping and sexually abusing a little girl for many years, but the movie was made so well. The main actress was absolutely fantastic, first of all. She made the whole movie for me. But the film itself was made in a very interesting way -- it was told from the perspective of present-day Odette, who is talking to her shrink, reflecting on her childhood when she was raped and abused by her parents' best friend and neighbor. Instead of flashing back and forth between Odette's memories as a little girl and 30 year old Odette sitting in her therapist's office, present-day Odette physically walks around in her old memories -- as in on the same set. There's one shot that shows little-girl Odette walking into her childhood home, and then the camera pans left to show present-day Odette and her therapist sitting at the therapist's desk, which is in the front yard. The story is also told partly through what I understood to be the inside of Odette's head -- she's a dancer, and there are many shots of her dancing alone in a completely black landscape with no floor or walls.

I'm rambling, but what I'm trying to say is that the narration is an intricate interweaving of past, present, Odette's conscience, and even some memories that she makes up or alters. This sounds complicated and hard to follow, but it actually makes the film very upbeat and interesting to watch. I really loved it, even though it was about a pretty heavy topic. (Another great part about it was that it made me laugh quite a bit as well, and it did it without taking away from the seriousness of pedophiles and child rape.)

After the movie was over, I realized that I was about to miss a train to JLP, and there wasn't another one for an hour. I ran to the train station in my flip flops while it was raining, and it was a miracle that I didn't completely wipe out on one of the sidewalks, because the ground was pretty slippery. I did make the train, though, and got back to JLP with plenty of time to change into warm, dry clothes and get some more recruiting work done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5/15/18

5/13/18

Film Review: RBG