5/8/2018

Day one of the Cannes Film Festival is complete!

The main highlights of today were listening to Eric Kohn speak to our group, and begging for tickets to the opening ceremony and the showing of Everybody Knows. Our talk with Eric Kohn was interesting to me for two reasons: the first and most obvious being that he's a well-known film critic who had lots of valuable things to tell us about the festival and his writing process for film reviews. The second thing that I found interesting was that he looked just like every other person who I'd seen walking around the venue. He was just in regular pants and a sports jacket, and could have easily been a grad student or a barista in a coffee shop somewhere.

This struck me because it made me realize that everyone at the festival, even if they look completely normal and unimportant, is, in fact, important. As Dr. Kohn said at the beginning of the trip, "Everyone around you is an industry professional." I understood what he meant when he told us this, but it was slightly different to experience it in real life -- to know that the person standing in front of you talking is a professional film critic. I knew that there would be famous people at this festival, but I hadn't thought much about how the people all around us would also be very important and influential, even if they weren't in fancy gowns on the red carpet.

The other big thing from today was begging for tickets to the opening ceremony, which was an interesting experience. I went back to Juan Les Pins to get ready, and then once I got back to Cannes I found myself wobbling around in heels along the street just outside the venue with a wrinkled sign asking for tickets. There were paparazzi taking pictures of us, which was quite strange and awkward, and there were lots of seemingly famous people walking around in gorgeous gowns, hanging on the arms of their dates.

My friends and I tried begging in a few different spots around the venue, but were unsuccessful in all of them. I wasn't really expecting to get any tickets, so this was fine, but it was nice to get the experience of begging for tickets. It was definitely something I'd never done before, and now at least I feel more prepared for a night when I would want to beg for tickets for a premiere movie that I'd actually want to see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5/15/18

5/13/18

Film Review: RBG